October | Down Syndrome Awareness Month

Where did September go!? I mean, really. It's October 1st which means maternity leave is over (excuse me while I cry...), Baker is almost two months old (excuse me while I cry some more...) and the unofficial start of the holiday season is upon us (excuse me while I start my online holiday shopping to cope with my emotions...).

Tears aside, the whirlwind that has been our life these last few months quickly led us to October which also happens to be Down Syndrome Awareness Month. We're the new kids on the block when it comes to raising a child with special needs so I'm super excited to have the opportunity to learn more about Down syndrome as well as have the chance to educate others on what life with Down syndrome looks like. 

Spoiler alert: it looks a lot like your life. 
I've been blogging publicly for a few years now and mostly it serves as a way for me to document things for the kids and keep a diary of sorts for our family. The kids' baby books are half-assedly (is that a word?) filled out - I swear I'll get to them some day - but we'll always have the blog to look back on and reference that one time Gracyn poo'd all over the floor or when we moved into our forever home. The decision to share Baker and our family's story as we navigate Down syndrome and heart defects was a no brainer - if it helps just one person realize that a Ds diagnosis is not scary or sad or something to feel sorry about, then I'll be a happy camper. It wasn't that long ago that I, myself, thought a Ds diagnosis was scary and sad. Look how far we've come in a few short months. 

So, follow along with us on Facebook and Instagram this month while we share even more photos of Baker and the girls and our family along with facts about Down syndrome as a way to spread awareness and help change common misconceptions revolving around Ds! 

It's a beautiful world and I can't wait to share it with you.

2 comments

  1. Love! You've already changed lives and Baker will definitely do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have certainly changed my perspective on DS and I am so grateful to you and your family for sharing your journey so candidly.

    ReplyDelete