Baker :: Three Months Old

Baker Dee is 3 months old, officially out of the newborn stage and just a regular old baby now. Cue all the mama tears! Why does it go so fast? I usually tend to agree with the phrase, "the days are long but the years are short" but this time around, even the days are flying by.

The second half of last week was a little tough so I definitely still have my moments when I feel D-O-N-E - the kids bonkers thanks to some lingering Halloween highs and we all had a few rough days attitude-wise - but I blinked and we had miraculously made it to another weekend. Just like that, Baker was another week older.



At 3 months old, Baker is wearing size 1 diapers and is up over 11 pounds, doubling his birth weight (5 lbs 7 oz)! We're still getting some use out of a few of his newborn sized pants but for the most part he's in 0-3 and 3 month clothing.  He nurses every 3 hours or so but the last few days has seemed to push it off to every 4 hours.


He loooooves to sleep and tends to take 3 solid naps throughout the day, staying awake long enough to eat and tolerate a few minutes of play in between. My little boyfriend has even started sleeping through the night. Say what?! Never have my children ever done this so early so I'm not holding my breath but for now I'll take it! We've also been warned that babes who end up having a heart surgery like Baker will be having tend to STOP sleeping through the night after they're repaired thanks to the extra blood flow and energy going through their little bodies.

Not that I'm wishing for LESS sleep but I'm totally anxious to see how his personality emerges after surgery. We're still waiting on a surgery date but his case info was submitted to the surgeon at St. Louis Children's Hospital as a first step. While we have an amazing children's hospital here in town, our cardiologist recommends the surgical team in St. Louis because of the type of repair Baker requires. The team there has a phenomenal success rate so even though we'll have to travel and be away from the girls, we're thankful to be able to do so in order to get him the best care possible. We're hoping to have it scheduled soon - it's the next big hurdle in this crazy journey and I'm kind of ready to be on the other side.



We think Mr. Baker will be a thumb-sucker. He found his hands this month and you'll often see him sucking on his fists. He's gotten his thumb in his mouth a few times now and seems pretty pleased with himself.


We are currently waiting to have Baker evaluated by the Britain Infant Development Center so he can start weekly therapy sessions at this facility. I've met a few other mamas who have kiddos with Down syndrome that partake in the therapy sessions offered and have nothing but great things to say. We're so excited to get him enrolled within the next few weeks and really start working with him on gaining some strength. He's doing amazingly well at home but this will just help further his progress and teach us things we could be doing with him as well.



Baker is also starting to find his little voice. I die every time he coos and "talks" back. His elusive smile is there, too! We've seen a few of the real deal, whole-face smiles and they're the absolute best. Still waiting for them to come more frequently but when we see them, they do not disappoint.



Oh, Bubba. You are the sweetest, calmest, cutest little boy. I kiss your cheeks a million times a day and love that you don't seem to mind. You continue to amaze me every day and I'm so glad I get to be your mama. I love you, sweet boy.




SaveSave

1 comment

  1. Gawd I miss him already! One of these days you'll be able to capture that full smile that brought tears to my eyes! Great progress Baker! Go baby go!

    ReplyDelete