Life Lately

Man, October is flying by. We've been keeping busy between work and appointments and enjoying the weather - it finally feels like fall around here and we're loving every minute. Time to recap life. I've tried to sit down and write this post for, like, the last 4 days so it's long overdue. Get ready for a whole lotta randomness... ;)

The extent of my indoor Halloween decorations... ha! I wanted to spruce up the mantel and go all farmhouse chic a la JoJo Gaines for fall but 5 pumpkins and a banner from the Target Dollar Spot will have to do this year...



My Christmas mantel better watch out, though, because THIS IS HAPPENING. Shut up and take my money. Take it all.

A few weeks ago, Gracyn had woken up in the middle of the night complaining about being in her room by herself. I quickly tried to get her back to sleep and mentioned under my breath that maybe she could start sleeping in Leighton's room so she wasn't lonely. I didn't think anything of it but later that same night, Leighton woke up calling out for me. I noticed her voice getting farther away and realized she was walking around the house - something I don't think she's ever done! When I found her, she was in the corner of Gracyn's room looking confused so I scooped her up and plopped her back in bed.

An hour or so later, I was back up feeding Baker and Leighton woke up (again); when I went in to check on her, Gracyn had magically found her way into Leighton's bed. The girls are pretty good about staying in their own beds so I was a little surprised to have found them both wandering between each other's rooms in the middle of the night but, whatever.

(Oh, and if you're keeping track, I had now been up out of bed 4 different times tending to 3 different children at some point in the night. Whoever said kids start sleeping through the night "eventually" is a straight up liar, by the way.)

Back to my story.

I was tired so I didn't fight it. Both girls ended up falling asleep together in Leighton's bed for the remainder of the night. And guess what? They've slept together every night since. Even more surprising, bedtime has gotten easier. There is still yelling and protesting (Leighton) but not as much. We're doing one set of stories and songs and it only takes 20 minutes or so versus Justin and me dividing and conquering and being tied up for what feels like hours on end trying to get kids to bed. Someone (Leighton) might still wake up in the middle of the night but it's not as often.  Why we didn't force them together sooner is beyond me but I'll take what I can get!

Now, if I could get Mr. Baker moved into his room and sleeping longer stretches I'd be in business! He's still in the pack n play next to our bed - the longest I've ever kept a kiddo in our room - but for some reason I'm having a hard time moving him! He has a nice cozy crib all ready for him and everything! Maybe someday soon...

My bestie and her two girls came to town the other weekend and we had such a good time catching up. We took the girls to a local pumpkin patch and out to lunch (and $1 margaritas..) on Saturday and spent the evening chit-chatting. They live in Omaha and it's always so nice to get together.


I think we've nailed down Halloween costumes for the kids. Gracyn is going to be a black cat; Leighton originally wanted to be a puppy but we convinced her to be a cat as well after I found a couple of sets of cat ears and cat tails at Target. Easy peasy. Done and done. Baker will be Waldo, because WHAT ELSE WOULD HE BE?!


I mean. Really. #perfection

At some point in September, I snagged this playhouse from the neighbor for free! Justin was thrilled when I asked him to go pick it up right away one Sunday afternoon. We put a fresh coat of stain on it and cleaned it up a bit for the girls. I want to make a flower box for the window so we can plant flowers next spring. It's in really good shape and such a cute little house and gives them a reason to go out to the backyard to play.


I switched all the kids' drawers out over the weekend, putting away summer clothes and taking inventory of our Fall items. I took Gracyn and Baker shopping last Saturday and got a few new things for the season along with outfits for family photos this weekend. G is obsessed with both pairs of new boots (I'm a pushover and she ended up with these AND these...). That meant Leighton also scored a couple of new pairs of shoes (these and these!) and my bank account hates me.

I know I should really branch out but you just can't beat Old Navy sale prices and they usually have really cute stuff and I don't necessarily care if it gets ruined. Because kids, ya know?! Anyway, this is kind of what we have planned for our family pictures on Saturday. I'm most excited about Baker's button down and jeans with suspenders....




Now that outfits are planned I need to spend every second of my free time working with Leighton and her "picture" face. Girlfriend has a new go-to look she does when I ask to take her picture. She kind of curls her upper lip under and gives me the crazy eyes. It's rather hilarious but I'm hoping for a more natural look for family pictures!


Wish us luck!

5 comments

  1. Omg yes to the child bed sharing! Our oldest (5 and almost 3) have been sharing a room for the better part of 2 weeks now and bed time is so much easier! 5 also insists on sleeping in 3's bed with her because it makes him feel safer. All the praise hands for easier bed time routines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Now I'm going to break my bank account!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - you scored that playhouse for FREE?!?! Color me jealous. I want to get one for Stella but I can't pull the trigger because 1)price and 2)who the hell is going to build it? You win on both fronts! Good luck on family pictures. The cheeseball smile has come on strong at our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the Waldo look! Yay for better bedtimes and you guys will all look sharp for family pics! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. We found Holland to be quite delightful.

    ReplyDelete